Monday, November 9, 2009

Here are a few pictures from our Tennessee trip. This first one is "General Cheatham." He is the resident cat at the Carter House in Franklin. A major battle of the Civil War took place in the backyard of this home. Bullet holes are still abundant and visible in the wood siding on the backporch--right above the 'General!' Dr. Dobson had the story of this battle on his radio program some time ago. The place was fascinating. Our tour guide was a Christian and he was very knowledgeable.
This is a really "scary" picture" of me having a bad hair day! I was posing by the old fashioned soda fountain at an old drugstore in Cross Plains, TN. We had a Coke made the old way. The girl pumped the syrup into a cup, added carbonated water and stirred! Wow! What a wonderful old fashioned experience.

See me on the porch above? don't I look short? What a beautiful old mansion. This is Rippavilla. We had toured the home on our last trip. Several Confederate generals met there to strategize before the battle. This historic home is just outside Spring Hill. There is a family cemetery and beautiful gardens on the grounds. The next picture is me eating traditional southern food at the Loveless Cafe near Nashville. It is an old motel that was turned into a restaurant and gift shops. They serve wonderful food. I was eating sweet potato fries and you can see I had okra and turnip greens still on my plate!

This last picture is of my Great, Great Grandfather's grave in the New Albany national cemetery, New Albany, Indiana. This town is on the Ohio river just over into Indiana. My grandfather enlisted in January 1864 and died July 2, 1864 while walking home from the war. We don't know many more details, except that a son was born into the family after he left for war and he never saw the boy. We have my grandpa's picture in uniform and are trying diligently to locate more information about him. We suspect he died of disease because grandparents always said he had been a prisoner of war. We are unsure.

More pics hopefully on the next post. Have a blessed day! LORI

1 comment:

  1. I just took the boys to that drugstore in Cross Plains two weeks ago. They loved it and I was excited to find a place that knows how to make old fashioned ice cream sodas.

    ReplyDelete