Friday, August 5, 2011

FARMING AROUND HERE!



SOME PRETTY DILL WEED FROM MY GARDEN DRAPED WITH THE MORNING DEW! I thought you'd enjoy this picture and a bit about our farm country!

On the last post I re-commented about our farms here in St. Joseph County, Michigan, but I suspect many of my readers don't re-read the comments, so here's a bit of info.

Our field behind our house, approximately ten acres, is planted in no-till soybeans this year. My daughter told me she thinks it will take about a half hour to pick the beans. The farmers have big combines to do the work. We rent them the ground and they have grown several different crops over the years--corn, beans, alfalfa.

Here in St. Joseph County they say we are a seed corn capital. We have several major seed corn companies located in the surrounding towns and we are said to be the most irrigated county east of the Mississippi--largely due to the seed corn industry.

Rhiannon has worked for one of the companies for years. She is an inspector and inspects about a hundred acres a day this time of year (mostly on foot) checking for all kinds of things--bugs, weed problems, rogue corn, etc., etc. It's a fascinating, scientific system that produces this incredible corn. Lots of money is involved in one single field and the farmers and the seed corn companies take the job of raising it very seriously. Lots of people are employed in the business of seed corn in one way or another around here.

In addition to seed corn, we have several farms that raise vegetables for commercial use. Such crops as green beans, carrots, and potatoes are among the variety of things grown in St. Joseph County. On a smaller scale, many people have little home garden plots and fruit and vegetable stands and co-op style garden businesses are springing up lately. This is a large garden operation where people can buy shares and then get an allotment of vegetables, etc. each week during the season without ever lifting a finger to do their own gardening! Most Amish families also raise most of their home fruits and vegetables in their gardens as well. Our county is home to several Old Order Amish.

The picture above is my little patch of dill in one of my raised beds. I plant it because I always think I will use it and never do! Well, once in a while I make "floating vegetables" with it--sliced tomatoes, onions, and peppers, floating in vinegar/sugar water with various spices. I like to eat this fresh.

I hope you enjoyed the little bit of farming education. Sooooo.......This seemed like an appropriate time to announce our big news--WE WERE ABLE TO BUY 13.75 MORE ACRES TO ADD TO OUR NEW LAND! We are just thrilled! For a short while--until we sell our house and adjoining acreage, we own almost 47 acres. This is something we only dreamed of in our wildest dreams! This has been a big blessing the Lord has given us and we are encouraged unbelievably by being able to realize this dream. We now own just shy of 29 acres all in one plot over near our old hometown! It's not exactly farm ground. It's more wooded and rolling hills, but beauitful and we hope to build on it soon. We feel so blessed and as soon as I have a nice picture, I will post it, but I couldn't wait to share this blessing with you!

My third book was finished yesterday and will be going to the publisher early next week! There's one big summer goal accomplished! Blessings, LORI

1 comment:

  1. It would definitely appear a blessing that you are able to expand while so many are having to rein in their spending!

    I enjoyed hearing about farming, Michigan style! And I can almost smell the dill just reading about it...

    ReplyDelete