Wednesday, April 7, 2010

LOTS OF SPRING WORK!



Here are a few picturess of the new raised beds! I thought you might enjoy seeing what Emma and I did yesterday!


What a day of work! We dug up most of the old strawberries and replanted them in the new raised bed. The old rows were behind me. Rhiannon helped dig them and then she also planted onions. Later Clint and I made one more new raised bed. We got them all filled with dirt and even placed a large rock in the middle of the whole scheme to serve as the center of an herb bed. He will make a teepee pole for the center and I plan to plant pole beans and/or tomatoes and other vining things around it. The whole garden will be much more attractive than ever before, I hope! Already I can see the wisdom of raised beds. So much easier to work with. Emma is standing by the rhubarb, right where the old rows of strawberries used to be. We hope to also put up some pretty sturdy fence for melon and squash vines. A friend of mine does that, training her squash vines upward for less weeding and tilling and to save space. I plant to adjust the hollyhocks at the back of the garden to make good use of the squash fences as well. As you know I love hollyhocks and they belong on a sturdy fence! (Hey, isn't there a book like that????) I hope to also put a few birdhouses back there by the squash fence--a sort of cottage garden look for the vegetable plot.


I planted two rows of potatoes before darkness set in last evening. I was so tired and in such a hurry that I know the rows are uneven. I have more to plant plus peas and radishes. But today it has been raining at a very steady pace for most of the day and so we are forced indoors! I helped my mother in law today--her auction is next week--and I sewed on the little girls' dedication dresses. A very good day! I also met this morning with a counselor concerning finishing a bachelor's degree. I am investigating that possibility, trying to determine if the life-style change and committment will be worth it in the end! Pray for me on that one if you think about it! I want to do all to the glory of God and not just take on projects, whether that is the garden, education, writing books, or whatever! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment