Wednesday, April 22, 2009

WAIT, WAIT, AND MORE WAITING

So busy yesterday that I didn't get to post. It was another rainy day here in Michigan while we gardeners looked out the window longingly. I have surrounded myself with garden books while I WAIT for better weather. What's a gardener to do? WAIT. WAIT. WAIT. Gardening is all about WAITING. It's a subject and concept most of us don't like but it has to be done at one time or another in life and the sooner we learn to WAIT and be patient, the better off we'll be. I think gardening helps teach patience. Sometimes there's jut nothing more to do but WAIT.

I was thinking about the old homeschool days when both my children were with me all day, every day. I had run on to some advice in a a book or magazine encouraging mothers to instill the habit of quietness in their children. Yes, the habit of quiteness. WAITING and quietness can be a choice. Most of our world is running in high gear with a lot of noise and activity resulting. We are used to tv's and radios blaring, loud machinery, i-pods, calendars booked to the max; just a constant barrage of noise and committments. It really is not all that good for us to have our senses relentlessly assaulted with input. When we are so busy and our ears never get a break, how can we hear God? Look at the life of David in the Old Testament. The Psalms reflect his close relationship with God borne partly from a shepherd's lifestyle of quiet, lonely hours of WAITING in the wilderness while a bunch of sheep grazed.

I remember in our homeschool days requiring the kids to take about 45 minutes and just spend a quiet time up in their room. It seemed like it was a beneficial thing for them and it certainly was for me! We didn't always discipline ourselves to do that, but for a time we practiced this and I think it helped them rest, learn to pray, and just be contented being alone if necessary.
As much as I long to get going on some of this garden work, I am held up by something I can't control right now. When the weather breaks, then the work will begin and in the meantime I've got to WAIT. I did buy some seed potatoes and mom cut them in sections for drying before planting. At least that's out of the way.

Yesterday I visited a couple of greenhouses thinking I'd purchase a second bag of "keeping" potatoes since the first I got were for early use. I remembered that last year I was too late getting to the greenhouse and missed the opportunity to get my favorite butternut squash. They were completely sold out before I got there. This year, determined not to let that happen, I checked on them yesterday thinking I'd purchase some and leave them there until time to plant. This time I was too early and the greenhouse didn't even have them started yet. So I have to WAIT.

It seems like my whole winter was one big WAIT. If you live in Michigan, you know we experienced one of the longest, hardest, winters in a while. It was not for the faint of heart, especially the faint of heart where patience is concerned! And still we WAIT. The weather looks iffy today and we are not sure what it's going to do. This is a phenomenon of Michigan, the weather can change very rapidly. Yesterday I started out for a walk and before I got back it was raining and windy, much colder than when I started.

Here's the latest clue on my favorite flower: I have to WAIT a while before it blooms! It tends to bloom in June and sometimes goes on for quite a while in the summer. It's color ranges from white to pink to black. But to me, it's worth WAITING for!

I will leave you with some "WAITING" scriptures to ponder while you WAIT for whatever you are WAITING for! Happy WAITING!

"Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait I say, on the Lord!" Psalm 27:14

"Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him..." Psalm 37:7

"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles. They shall run and not be weary. They shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

Blessings, LORI

3 comments:

  1. Are you dissing i-pod's?! I don't know if we can be friends!!! Why didn't you mention the amazing worship service we attended lastnight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's must be a Zune person. Your favorite flower is a Marigold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, it's not a marigold, but after you find out what it is, try guessing my second favorite! I do save alot of marigold seeds, though. They are so versatile and dependable, what great qualities that we could all imitate!

    ReplyDelete