Thursday, April 23, 2009

Revealing of the "Favorite Flower" and other garden ramblings!

It looks like a fine day shaping up in Michigan! Yesterday turned out to be pretty nice after all, but when I tried to go out and work in the gardens in the afternoon, it was so windy that it was almost miserable to be out.

Clint tilled the vegetable garden and I certainly appreciated that. Saved me alot of time and allowed me to get some other stuff done. I dug up (with his help!) a cottoneaster plant that was a great, healthy specimen but encroaching on other areas. It had to go. I felt so badly about that. For a long time I let it go, but it was creeping into the pathways of the English garden and had grass growing at its roots to the point that the long dead grass was impossible to remove amidst the tangles of branches. Not quite being able to consign it to death, I put it in the wheelbarrow and filled it with water. I am hoping to put it out by the roadside today with a sign on it. Maybe someone will take it home an "love" it. It deserves a special place in someone's landscaping. I just don't have that place. I tried to transplant another one last year and it didn't make it. I don't want to kill this one too.

I also got a lovely snowball bush planted yesterday and transplanted a small lilac. Found a few salvia plants growing in the vegetable garden, leftovers from last year's landscaping. Rhiannon and I moved them to the flower garden. They are great plants. Very hardy and showy. I got them late in the season 2 years ago for about 30cents a piece. It was the answer to my landscaping vacancies. I had too many and some landed in the veggie garden for safekeeping. I think these will end up in one spot at the front of the house where I never finished the landscaping. I ran out of black plastic and need to finish one corner. They'll probably have to move again. But since they are so hardy, they won't care.

My daughter wanted to know why I didn't comment on the awesome praise and worship service we attended the other night. Well, I don't know why I didn't. But I will now. All of the family, except Emma, went down to Granger Community Church in Mishawaka and saw the London Hillsongs worship team on Tuesday night. It was very good. Such freedom and exuberance in worship. There was a huge crowd. I'd say the auditorium was packed. It was more than a concert, it was a praise and worship experience. Very enjoyable and lots of talent.

I am revealing my favorite flower today. It is the humble hollyhock! Thanks to those of you who tried to guess. I think I love hollyhocks because they are the ultimate cottage garden flower. They look so good in a country garden or against chicken coops and farm buildings. I have vivid memories of one of my favorite books from childhood that had the sunbonnet girls in it. It was an abc book and there were some pictures in it where hollyhocks were featured. My grandma raised hollyhocks, saving the seed every year. She said she had saved the seeds from when she was a girl and got them from her grandmother. I had the seeds for years and knew which ones were the "family heirloom" seeds. Lost track of them several years ago in the midst of other seeds I collected. I still know the particular color they were and so I assume the ones I have of that color are the family plants. I literally have buckets of seeds from hollyhocks and can't bear to part with them. They are great flowers in my book! Care to guess my second favorite? The hollyhock is very tall my second favorite is very small!

Have a lovely day in this beautiful weather! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment