Monday, April 20, 2009

Just News

Here we are going on our third day of rain and lower temperatures in Michigan. I am thankful for the rain because with our clay soil and my very exposed English garden, my ground turns to cement after only a few days without rain. These chillier temps may allow me to get a nice, soft, rain-drenched soil to work with while the weeds are held at bay for a few more days.

I need to plant a viburnum bush here in the next few days. I am trying to select a perfect place to put it. You'd think with 18 acres, that wouldn't be a problem, but I am still unsure after two days of thinking about it.

Gathered more gardening books from the library this afternoon. I was enjoying the ones I had so much that I thought I'd add to my reading. I bought seed potatoes and onion sets today. Once I can get the garden tilled, they're going in the ground. I wish they'd have gotten planted before, but I was waiting on my tiller. Now I'm waiting on the rain.

Today Clint took Daisy in for an x-ray on her leg. Several weeks ago she hurt her back leg while playing outdoors. After an initial examination and round of anti-inflammatory pills, she still was not using the leg. After her all-day stay at the vet's today it was determined she needs surgery to repair a torn ligament in the knee. I was thrilled that the cost was about 1/6 of what I had anticipated. She will go in next Tuesday for the surgery and there is about a 6-8 week recovery. She should be back to full speed before too much of the summer passes by.

Rhiannon taped the walls and woodwork in an area of my mom's kitchen this morning in prepartation for painting. We chose a bright, true red for the bottom half of her west kitchen wall. I bought a very small blue and white print paper from a discount lumber yard to put above it. I am hoping the guys will install a white chair rail between the two for me. Mom's kitchen is done in primary colors. Lots of white with red, blue, and yellow. I think this little inexpensive touch will go along way in spicing up the kitchen; no pun intended! The paper cost only $2, so I thought that was a good deal. If we can get away with the one quart of paint, it will be less than a $12 fix.

Favorite flower clue: Let's see, what have I said so far? It's name is thought to be derived from the Crusades, it is double or single, self seeds freely, and I can't remember what else I told you!! Here's today's clue: It is considered a "cottage garden" flower.

Enjoy the upcoming sunny days that are predicted for the weekend! Blessings, LORI

2 comments:

  1. Well, I know your favorite flower but since you won't let me tell everyone it's no fun for me to comment so I guess I have nothing else to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting and I am glad you didn't tell. Do you know what my second favorite is?

    ReplyDelete