Saturday, October 26, 2013

MICHIGAN PICKERS--OR "SHABBY AND YOU DECIDE IF IT'S CHIC"

I've repeatedly been saying this has been the best auction, garage sale, thrift store year ever! I decided to share some more "finds" with you. This week was half price day at my local Goodwill. I had been there Thursday and decided to snatch up a bunch of items and not take a chance on them being there today--those wonderful finds are for another post! But I went back today and shopped some more and got these bracelets. They are pearlized stones set in bronzey looking metal. All for $2! Not normally my style, but the "pearly" look appealed to me.
This little gem--a sheep picture,I love sheep pictures--dear to my heart for obvious reasons, was covered with thick dust and the frame was in pieces, piled together with another rotting picture and old frame at an auction last week. I paid three dollars, brought it home and cleaned it up. My mom glued the frame and I thought it was nice, but the frame had some bad spots so I decided to try something. I saw some internet posts about using Vaseline to "distress" wood. So I tried it! Literally probably took me less than a half hour start to finish. I wiped Vaseline on the frame in intermittent places using a Qtip. Then I used some sample paint I had (yellow tinted off white) and brushed on the gold frame. I wiped most of the paint off the brush before painting. Let it dry all afternoon and here are the results! An antique looking antique!
Got this gorgeous square plate today for 50cents. I found the champagne glass a shelf away and will glue them with special craft glue to make "footed plates" for Christmas gifts. I couldn't believe how well this glassware matched--also 50cents! Footed plates for $1!!!!
Another of the pretty plates I got for 50cents. I bought the little dessert dishes for the "feet" on these. I will have three identical--cost, $1.
Got this on Thursday and decided not to wait for the half price sale. I had a 20% off coupon and so decided I'd pay the extra--about $20-- and be sure this came home with me. It's a wonderful little kitchen, an item we had been talking about getting for the kids to have while here. Yes, that's our car behind the kitchen!--sorry.We had spoken of what to get just that morning before I went to the thrift store. I almost missed this gem. I was looking at the curtains--department right next to toys--when I spotted this. I also bought a ton of gorgeous curtains for the fabric and to use in Christmas décor. That's for another post!
 
God has blessed me with some very specific answers to prayer as far as obtaining needed and wanted items that I have been searching for. I'm convinced that our Heavenly Father just wants to lavishly bless us! Hallelujah!

2 comments:

  1. I believe you are right - about the lavish blessings of our Heavenly Father. Sometimes they come in tangible & physical forms...other times, just in an overwhelming sense of His Presence & grace....

    That sheep picture IS a treasure. I'm still looking for my first one with either sheep or cattle....

    God bless you again today, Lori. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rebecca! I love those sheep pictures! I know of one antique one at a funeral home that I sort of covet each time we have the unhappy occasion to attend a funeral or visitation! I only hope someday they redecorate and decide to part with some of the décor at a garage sale!!! I don't think I have any cattle pictures, but this was my fourth or fifth sheep picture. I got some awesome ones in England!

    ReplyDelete