Friday, October 11, 2013

A PIONEER DAYCATION

We had a wonderful day yesterday! Clint and I both had the day off. In the morning after attending an early estate sale, we drove two counties over to purchase my first fleece! I bought two, a Black/Silver Romney and a White Romney which I will begin washing today--new pioneer experience! Then we visited an old general store, still in operation complete with original furnishings, advertising signs, and antiques! How fun!
 
To top it all off, I had Clint build me a campfire when we got home and I made my first ever attempt at cooking over an open fire--something other than hot dogs on a stick!
I used my deep iron skillet and the new campfire grill I bought Clint for Father's Day. The grill was leaning with the weight and it kind of scared me. I will try to remedy that with some support on the opposite end for the next attempt.
I chose to slice some apples, add butter and water and cover them. To my surprise, they were steaming almost immediately! Next I added some sugar and cinnamon dissolved in a little more water and stirred that in. Notice above, some essential items: an old kitchen chair that served as my "counter space" and the oven mitts!
About 20 minutes after the cooking began I added a half recipe of biscuit dough. I made it extra runny so I could easily pour it from the bowl into the skillet and not stand forever leaning over the fire.
Here is the finished result! I was amazed at how easy this made up and how good it tasted. I did let the dough cook for about an hour. The water on the apples was perfectly absorbed and they were a great consistency. It had a slight smokey flavor, but was very good served warm with vanilla ice cream. Notice the biscuit dough didn't brown like it does in an oven and it took quite a bit longer than a batch of biscuits before it was done. This morning the smokey flavor was more pronounced, probably because I left the lid on overnight and didn't remove from the cooking pan.
 
But all in all the experiment was a success and today I plan to wash fleece and cook stew over the campfire if all goes well!
Awaiting the evening snack time.
Also took some pictures of my "coop flowers" while I was out there cooking. These potted flowers have amazed me. In the last few weeks they have outdone themselves, looking better than they did all summer! Especially the snapdragons. These pictures don't do them justice.
 
I hope you enjoyed the pioneer daycation as much as we did. So fun, so peaceful, such a step back in time!
 
Blessings, LORI

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a really fun, relaxing day. The apples/biscuits sound delicious! We've had a couple of fires, too. (I was too lazy to cook, though.....)

    ReplyDelete