Friday, June 1, 2012

FAMOUS HYMNS AND REVIVALS

We took a ride last Sunday afternoon to Pokagon, Michigan, just west of our area to see a quaint little historical spot that my husband Clint discovered on a recent trip for his employer. It was extremely hot that afternoon, though obviously the pictures don't show that! Our area got into the mid 90's last weekend!

I am standing in front of the church where the famous hymn, "The Old Rugged Cross" was first sung. The sign below explains all the history of the hymn and its significance to this place. It was finished for a revival held here in 1913. Hopefully you can read the explanation on the sign. This era in history is one of my favorites--clothing wise, historically, and for the fact that our nation experienced a great emphasis on revivals during this time period.

The little church is being made into a museum. The grounds around it are very nicely kept and quite beautiful.

After we were finished there, I mentioned to Clint that I'd like to go on to look for an old camp where I spent some time as a young person, Crystal Springs, near Dowagiac. We found it easily a few minutes later and drove through the grounds to see the quaint old buildings. It is another of those wonderful places from this era, a place where revivals were held. It is the kind of place that made an iimpression on me--one that I'll never forget. I like to think it shaped me in some very profound ways as I stood in the huge wooden tabernacle as a young girl. The tabernacle is still there, constructed in the late 1800's. I believe the camp is still run by the United Methodist Church. The beautiful tabernacle was home to large crowds at the turn of the century for preaching and singing services. As I remember, the side doors swing out and can be propped up or at least opened to accommodate overflow crowds. I modeled the African church in my latest book, "The Call From a Distant Field" after the tabernacle at Crystal Springs that so impressed me at 12 years old. So this little Sunday afternoon excursion was like stepping back in time--one of my favorite things! Blessings, LORI




2 comments:

  1. I've been past this chapel, Lori! I'm embarrassed to say we never stopped. When we lived near Lawton, we went to Dowagiac a few times to eat at a restaurant owned by the same person/people who owned T's in Lawton. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of Dowagiac's restaurant..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The huge cross looks cool! Emma would get a kick out of that.

    ReplyDelete