Thursday, October 6, 2011

SUMMER IN A JAR!

THIS IS A QUICK POST ABOUT PUTTING THE FLAVORS AND BOUNTY OF SUMMER IN JARS! This is the wild black raspberry jelly I made from berries on our property!

Here is a picture of the moms cutting apples for sauce! Thankful to have a laundry tub for this!

Next is the operation of squashing the apples down for sauce. Isn't it a pretty pink? No artificial color! I use a mix of equal parts Jonathan, Cortland, and McIntosh every year and this is the lovely color product I get!
Running the pressure cookers to process the jars.
Many, many crabapples from our 200+foot windbreak down on the front of our farm. This is the first year I've picked them since I got a longing for crabapple jelly like my Mom once made when I was young.
Jewel-like jelly in jars. I am very, very pleased with the crabapple jelly. I didn't get much--4 jars in all, I think, but it was the easiest jelly I've ever made. It required no pectin since the fruit is so full of natural pectin! Sugar and juice and that's it! I could have picked more, but I decided it was a lot of work and the wildlife appreciate the winter snack!

We are very, very busy right now. Our weather is beautiful, the whole family is working long hours, and we are trying to enjoy what is probably the last of our nice fall weather. Blessings, LORI

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to eat some of your applesauce! It's amazing! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy, I have not heard of wild raspberries and certainly no black raspberries. I guess the nearest we have is blackberries and they are wild.

    ReplyDelete