Thursday, December 2, 2010

WELCOME TO THE ANTIQUE TOY CORNER













I hope this panorama of pictures will give you an idea of what my "antique toy corner" is like. This little area is upstairs in the dormer that faces east and has the large decorative window. I got the idea to decorate it this way from a memory from childhood. We visited My Old Kentucky Home in Bardstown, KY when I was a little girl and I remember the nursery in a little upstairs room. It fascinated me and impressed me a lot, I guess. I inherited many old toys from family members and so decided to put them all here.
The grandfather clock is a family item that will be going back home to my mother-in-law's soon. It stayed here for the summer while her new house was being built. First group of strong guys here are welcome to carry it downstairs and move it! Next to it sits a little red wooden chair that belonged to my grandma. It's early 1900's at least. Sorry that we had to photograph through the stairway. This dormer is sliced by the open staircase.
You may need to click to enlarge these pictures for detail. The red chair and little rocker both holding dolls were given to me. The little chair belonged to Clint's mother and the larger rocker my parents found at an auction. The little red egg was an Easter present given to my dad by a great grandmother in the 1920's. It almost got away from me the day of my mom's auction. I found it and took it back in the house before the sale started!
The little white dresser was mine as a little girl and on top of it sits a new Peter Rabbit tea set I bought recently. Emma and I took it down and played with it while she was here during Thanksgiving. The little cradle was made in the 1800's by a man from Pennsylvania. We just found out from family diaries this year that it was probably purchased by my dad for his sisters one year in the 1930's. He had a paper route and this gentleman was one of his customers! My aunt, my dad's sister, just gave me the little bronzed shoes this year. An old school slate is leaned against the wall.
The white shelf I obtained at a garage sale and it holds my collection of Snow White dishes. I played with them as a little girl. Some were broken, but I salvaged most of them. The sampler above was done by Rhiannon in high school. It was a homeschool project.
In one picture you will see an antique coverlet on the wall. I salvaged this from Clint's mom's auction as well. I think his grandma made it and I believe the fabric is from feed sacks. The picture of the little boy fishing is very old. It hung in our house when I was growing up in the 1960's and 70's. My mom loved auctions before they were "cool" and she got it long ago. The desk beneath it was given to me for a graduation present since I was a business major. On top of it sits an African tea set I purchased in Kenya and several antique toy utensils. Below it are a pair of my grandma's shoes that she wore when she was four years old (1903-04). Also piled on the floor are several old quilts--very old I might add. I believe some of the fabrics are Civil War era and were pieced by my great grandmothers. Also a little antique stroller is holding some books that belonged to me, my father, and his mother. The wooden stroller behind the desk was Clint's mother's.
Emma loves to come up here to play. I have to supervise when she plays up here since some of toys are so fragile. I want them to be enjoyed, though and I think it would be a shame to never let her touch them. She is learning to treat them carefully. I hope you enjoyed this little visit to my toy corner. Blessings, LORI

7 comments:

  1. What a "perfect" place you have for these wonderful items--and what memories & stories they represent! (You should compile a "hard-copy" of their stories to pass along with them one day.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Rebecca! Thanks for the compliment. Before this house we had a HUGE Victorian and so I was blessed with many family heirlooms from relatives that felt I should be the keeper of them--ok by me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was pregnant with Owen, our first, I wanted to decorate his nursery in antique toys. Unfortunately we didn't have but a couple little trains and a couple little dollars. His little room was almost too small to decorate anyway...:) and Kris didn't like the idea of putting toys in front of his eyes and then telling him they weren't to play with. I had such good arguments but what we they worth when there were no funds for the subject anyway. HA! It was a good opportunity to be submissive I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma really does love that little corner. She tries to sneak to it as much as possible! I didn't realize that Rhiannon had made that! The alphabet one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the alphabet one. She also made the prayer one in the guest room. You'll have to look at it when you get home. I'd love to have a nice shelf all along the top of the "corner" to put Clint's old train on. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Showing Em some pictures on your blog. She saw that first picture and got really excited. "Granny's dolly!! I play with that!!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that warms my heart! I'm looking forward to your visit soon so she can play up there again!

    ReplyDelete