Friday, July 30, 2010

RANDOM RAMBLINGS

Sorry, no pictures! It is just really difficult for me to post pictures and I haven't had time to go get all set up at the library to do so!

We've been busy doing alot of cleaning and garden work. I had company coming earlier in the week and that meant major, major cleaning and sprucing up. This is always true when company comes. I feel like we live rather sloppily until we know someone's coming to stay. Others would disagree with me but I have a "make-it-like-a-bed-and-breakfast" mentality when guests are due. Unfortunately, after all the work (I was near exhaustion--a rare place for me to be!) the company could not come due to circumstances beyond their control. Bummer.

I've been striving to finish a few projects as well. I finished the embroidery for a pillow top last week. Now I must construct the pillow. I also finally got my garden under some kind of control after a long hot spell.

Worked on little miniscule projects that just seem to creep up--de-liming the kitchen faucets, etc.! Exciting, huh?

Yesterday we took Emma to the library to see the "alligator" program. "Alldigators," as she calls them are suddenly her favorite thing. Every time she is at Granny and Papa's house she has to get out the "alldigator" movie and watch the whole thing. It's a nature documentary that fascinates her. Yesterday after we loaded her up in the car we realized we didn't have the camera--sorry, no pictures of "Emma and the alldigators." She did get to pet one plus she got to touch a snake, a huge tortoise and I don't know what all. It was a big deal for her. Then we went to the park and took a picnic lunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches cut in the shapes of stars and horses. Met Aunt Ranner or "Aunt Rannon," there and that was exciting!

Today was more cleaning and then out for supper and a bit of shopping. Got a couple of nice items at garage sales and that's been about it. Nothing much going on here!

I'm scared to go out into my English garden. It is so weedy, I would rather enjoy it from afar. I weeded like a mad woman last Monday before company was to arrive and got a mild case of poison ivy. I never even gathered up the huge piles of weeds that I created. I suppose it's really bad now.......

Well, that's all for today. Will try to post more when something exciting happens or I find something pretty to photograph! Blessings, LORI

4 comments:

  1. I have that same mentality about guests. I want them to feel like they have arrived somewhere that is refreshing and expectant of them. I have a much harder time with that since my house has gotten a little larger and my kids have gotten a little more in number. I am trying to teach them to help me in that area, but I am also trying to relax a little and remember that my guests will understand if I forgot something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging confirmation, Mary. I've never quite struck the balance. I'm afraid each time I stress out and don't get over it until the guests are here and I sensed they felt welcomed and delighted to be at my home! I guess hospitality is something I have to work at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you Lori, when company comes or we are leaving for vacation, I clean like the queen were coming but most of the time I would rather be outside and clean when I can't garden. Thanks for stopping by and the encouraging words. Sorry you haven't enjoyed the garden with all the heat you have had but it still looks good to me.
    Blessings Meg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg: Thanks so much. You don't know had badly I needed encouragement today! The Lord used your words at this time. Blessings, LORI

    ReplyDelete