Wednesday, March 31, 2010



CRAZY BUSY!!! Well, it's that time of year to be "crazy busy!" with outdoor work.

In addition to outdoor work, we've just been very busy with appointments, emails, phone calls, extra part time jobs, etc. Just seems like we've been running in every direction.

I hope to get some sewing done soon so I can post pictures of the beautiful little dresses I've been making, but for now--this is the latest thing we've been making. You are viewing my vegetable garden complete with the new raised bed frames. We hope to do four, but there was miscommunication the day Clint purchased the lumber. I want to put a support of sapling poles in the middle for a little decoration and some pole beans or morning glories. I am hoping to make the garden pretty enough to hold my interest in working it. The strawberries, onions, tomatoes, and green beans will go in the raised beds. Potatoes and rhubarb will still be in rows. We may put up some fencing for climbing supports for squash and melons.

Clint wanted me to start using raised beds after the tiller became too much for me to handle about a year ago. After I hurt my back last summer, I was a little skittish to run the tiller. It used to be my best friend, but now I'm kind of scared of it getting away from me--which it did the other day. We were tilling up the garden and I decided to finish the task. The tiller hit the edge and went bouncing across the yard toward the gas tank and clothesline. It was twisting and jumping. I couldn't "catch" it and was sort of scared to try. I finally got it. Rhiannon came running from the orchard area to save me. She was in some brambles and fought to get loose when she noticed the disaster. She was all scractched up and the tiller was lying on its side. A large bolt lay on the ground underneath it and it wouldn't start. Hmmmm!!!! Clint promptly suggested raised beds to alleviate large-scale tilling. We hope it works. Will keep you posted! Blessings, LORI

2 comments:

  1. Whew! That does sound a little scary. I've wondered about a small tiller. Is there such a thing. Kris has no interest in gardening so it will be up to me if I ever start one and I feel like I would be intimidated by the tiller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary: I do have a smaller, and will now be using it, I suppose, but for a number of reasons, I prefer the larger one. I COULD operate the larger one if I really set my mind to it, but two of these such instances have made me kind of scared of it. No one but me has any interest in gardening around here, either. I hear this constantly--you can buy vegetables in cans alot cheaper and save yourself all that work! And this year, that's proving true! But, I've never done things the easy way. It's the pioneering spirit in me, I guess!

    ReplyDelete