Tuesday, February 2, 2010

THE QUEST FOR WISDOM




I've been busy finishing a few projects--remember my committment to do that a while back? Well, one project came up quite unexpectedly--a project that had hung in the closet unfinished for some time. I discovered that a dress I was making for my granddaughter was finally something she had "grown into," and therefore needed to be finished as soon as possible. An hour or so of work and it was done. The dress front features an "apron" that I made from an old embroidered pillowcase! What do you think? The other project actually belongs to a friend. She asked me to finish a set of dresser cloths. I crocheted around the edge and am now working on the matching one that needs embroidery as well!

I want to share with you what I noticed in my Bible just yesterday. I had recently re-begun the practice of reading a chapter in Proverbs that corresponded to the day of the month. I did this years ago and it was a great way to sort of "fast forward" your understanding since Proverbs is a great wisdom book.
Of course, yesterday's reading was chapter 2. I immediately noticed that the chapter was speaking of how to gain wisdom. My eyes and ears perked up as I've been recently needing some guidance on several little issues. I made sure as I read the first few verses that I had diligently followed the requirements for receiving. I checked them off mentally as I read. Yep, yep, yep, did that, etc. I was excited to find that in verse 7 the Bible declares that the Lord has even "stored up" wisdom for the upright. Am I upright? According to the New Testament we are being made the righteousness of God in Christ (2 Cor. 5:21). I wouldn't be upright on my own, I try to do good, but I fall short. Thankfully, Christ exchanged my shortcomings for His righteousness. So that one was covered. Then the middle verses seemed to list all kinds of things that I will be preserved from if I walk in this understanding and wisdom. How encouraging to know that getting closer to God preserves me from alot of trouble. I can testify to the truth of these verses as I look at the many traps I've been saved from in my life because of the knowledge of God's principles. Thank you, Lord!

I've recently needed answers on a number of little situations. I was encouraged as I read this Proverb today and found that wisdom is already stored up for me. It's a matter of drawing on what God has already given to the saints who seek Him. As usual, if I seem to have a block on some matter, it's not God who is not speaking, it's me who is not hearing! Take heart today in the God who speaks, the God who goes before you to preserve you, the God who sees the end from the beginning and looks out for your best interest, ready to give you all you need for life and godliness. Read 2 Peter 1:3 and meditate on its truths. Blessings, LORI

1 comment:

  1. Good encouragement. It is amazing how those Scriptures never fail to offer new or renewed counsel.

    ReplyDelete