Thursday, February 25, 2010

COUNTRY COMFORTS


The house and barns had been completely painted now and their fresh, clean colors offered a stark contrast to the fading landscape all around.
from "The Fields of May"


I wanted to share a few pictures with you today to show you what I've been up to. I recently finished these two embroidered miniature pictures after someone gave me the kits years ago. They always appealed to me, but I thought they would be a big project. Turns out they were relatively easy to do and very pretty when done. I was thrilled to hang them upstairs in my "country farm corner," in the big open hall area. Couldn't get everything in this last picture, but the large framed painting is a rooster and red barn. The black framed picture between the new embroideries is a couple of chickens looking out through the wire in their barn window. This was taken on one of our trips to Tennessee! Sitting right below the weather vane is a rusty iron chicken planter on wheels that sits in a transferware bowl and pitcher. I have baby's breath in the chicken planter! Sorry I couldn't get that in the picture!

How about a little recipe suggestion for this wintry, day in the country? Yesterday I made something new. Actually I made it up and thought you might enjoy it as well. Here's what I did. I took about three-four frozen boneless, skinless, chicken breasts and put them in the crock pot on low early in the day, turning it up to high later. After they were cooked and bubbling I added a can of cream of chicken soup, some pepper, and about half a can of tomato sauce. I stirred it up and let it cook for a while longer on low. The chicken tended to flake apart easily after awhile. I turned the crock pot down (I have a 'keep warm" feature) and added about a cup of sour cream (only because I didn't have cream cheese, which I would have preferred!). Before supper I cooked up some fancy pasta and served the chicken mixture over the top! Easy meal. Everyone said it was good. I was thinking that I could now take the pasta and chicken, add milk and Italian seasoning, cook on low in the crock pot and have soup for a second meal! It was a great combination of flavors with an elegant twist for very little effort. Try it and let me know if you liked it!

What else am I doing lately? Well, writing, enjoying my new book that is now in print--hurray! and lots of needlework. Started a very unique pair of gloves for JT and am working on dedication dresses (heirloom style) for the little granddaughters.

I might be speaking or "tag team speaking" with Clint this Sunday as he preaches on the gifts of the Holy Spirit from 1 Corinthians. Pray for me if you think of it--I haven't exactly consented and given him a 'yes' answer yet, so the details and studying are not worked out yet. However, this subject is very close to my heart and intriguing to me. I am looking forward to studying the examples that are in the Bible--there are many--where even in the Old Testament, the prophets were obviously functioning by the Holy Spirit and doing ministry enabled by His power. As well as that, you can read through the book of Acts after reading and studying the list in 1 Corinthians and see the obvious--that the people in the early church and the miracles we read about were manifestations of the Holy Spirit--the gifts in operation! It is really a cool study. Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment