Thursday, January 14, 2010

INEXPENSIVE TABLE DECOR






Here are a few pictures of the decorations at the first annual (probably) NCCF Sportsmen's Banquet held on Tuesday evening. The food was wonderful and the program was great. Many compliments from the attendees were heard and their appreciation was evident as many hung around afterward to fellowship.

How do you like the creative use of antlers? I took foam blocks designed for dried floral arrangements and Clint secured the antlers on with rubber bands. Then I put evergreen branches, crabapple sprigs, twigs, and pinecones in to fill in the gaps. The other decorations were merely old blue canning jars filled with polished stones, twigs, and other dried materials. They were originally intended to go in the middle of the tables, but my husband thought it was going to be too hard to see each other across the table with tall grasses in the way. I ended up putting all the jars and "antler arrangements" on the book table, sign in table, etc. My mom took an old atlas and a dinner plate and cut "doilies" out of the maps. We placed these in the center of the tables with a sprig of arborvitae and a pinecone--a much shorter table arrangement! We have used the pages of old atlases many times for decor for church events with certain themes. They are a great way to recycle something that would otherwise be useless. It makes an attractive placement of the perfect size when the pages are left intact. We once used them that way for a senior citizen banquet and then played a game with the maps. So save your atlases! Hope you enjoy these ideas! Blessings, LORI

5 comments:

  1. Very creative! I like it. I didn't know that arborvitae was an actual tree. I've heard the word but thought it was just a way of saying tree of life. A relative of Kris' has started a ministry by that name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary. Wow, I hope that is the right name. I thought it was! Maybe I should check. I think I heard another lady at church call it that because we often raid this poor bush in the parking lot for quick greenery decor for dinners and such! Cool name meaning and neat name for a ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I googled it and you used it correctly. When I saw the picture I even recognized it from the bushes at the church. I had just never thought to question what the name of it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative! What was the menu? Was it wild game?

    ReplyDelete