Tuesday, May 14, 2013

CHICKENS AS EMPLOYEES!

Why do your own work when you can get others to do it for you? Normally I would not promote such a work ethic, but in the case of my two hens....I thought they might as well be useful. Here is a picture of Clint putting the finishing touches on the new CHICKEN TRACTOR he's been building for me! It is a portable pen with wheels. It fits over my raised beds and can be placed pretty much anywhere that needs to be cleared. Chickens will do that to a plot of ground, fertilizing it at the same time! I figured why should I clear the weeds when they can do it in a couple of days. So far, I'm slightly disappointed with their scratching rate, but I guess since there's only two of them, I have to give them some time to clear this ground.

Here is a picture of the new chicken coop! I am thrilled with this new addition to the farm, purchased earlier this spring at a benefit sale for a favorite ministry. My new hens are occupying this dandy structure. Tilt-in south facing windows for warmth, removable floor for cleanliness, pulley-operated chicken door--which means I never have to enter the coop for anything!
Here I am, looking my worst in my husband's old cast off clothing--my outdoor work clothes. I am showing the nest box feature to this coop. Easy, outside egg removal!Here's the back window for extra ventilation.

A couple of little hens using their new ladder to enter the pen area. I had quite a job clearing the area and installing temporary fence to divide the existing pen from the area the old hens occupy. I had to trim down many, many branches on a mulberry tree to get to the interior of the pen so I could install the fence. I prayed for God's help and I was amazed at how easily I was able to complete a job that would have normally been left to my husband. I knew he didn't have time to do everything and so I tried and was successful. Praise the Lord! So I did my share of the work after all! Now it's their turn! Blessings, LORI

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing chicken coop! Impressive :) Hope they work harder to indicate their appreciation of such a fine home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty cool. I might be able to talk Kris into getting chickens if we could snag a coop like that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could report that they have the ground all scratched up, but they are disappointing me. After spending the better part of three days in there--nothing much has changed. I'm not sure why. Oh, well, that's what you get for trying to let others do your work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea, a chicken tractor.

    ReplyDelete