Saturday, March 28, 2009

Had such a busy day today. We are getting ready to head out for a little vacation tomorrow. We intend to leave right after church and head for Nashville, Tennessee! We will go on to see friends in Alabama for a few days, then back to the Nashville area. We will also spend some time with cousins from Kentucky. I am so anxious to go, except for missing time with Emma!

I worked at one of my cleaning jobs this afternoon instead of the usual Monday cleaning since I will not be around. I walked to work and that added to the day's busy schedule.

Late this evening the mission team from our church returned which meant I got to see JT for a little bit before leaving for the south. We hadn't expected the team back until tomorrow evening and I'm glad they made it here before we left! Kori, JT, and Emma were here and had some supper but Emma was very tired and couldn't wait to get home! The mission trip, working in hurricane ravaged areas of Texas, went well but we are so glad to have them all returned safely.

A little update on the family history: A few days ago after running into what appears to be a "dead end" as far as information goes on the one side of the family we were tracing, Rhiannon decided to trace the ancestor's wife instead. After all, she would be a grandmother to us way, way back. We would still be her direct descendants.Come to find out her family arrived here in 1635, even earlier than the other family. It was possible to find the name of the ship and a list of the passengers!

Well, lo and behold, I sat at the computer as Rhiannon showed me the amazing results. We thought we had uncovered a major history with her husband's family but hers is traceable even further back. Assuming the information is correct that we found on the internet, genealogies already done by others, we were able to see names of her parents, their parents, and on and on clear back to a man from England in.......now get ready for this........1325!!!!! Yes, that's 1325!!!! If we can verify a few details, we are able to name every person in a direct line from us, 23 generations with names and birthdates, clear back to that year! It is still almost unbelievable to me. I went to the library and tried to find books that would show fashion depictions from then, just to get a grip on what we are talking about. Is this why I have always had a fascination with Old English as a language?--ha ha!! I found a course last year (teach yourself) and when the kids found out I was interested in learning Old English, Kori and JT got it for me for Christmas! I know that sounds strange, but the Middle and Old English language has fascinated me ever since 7th grade when our English teacher played a tape for us where a speaker was speaking samples of the languages over the ages! I have worked on learning a bit this winter. Haven't gotten too far yet, but it was very intersting.

I thought you history fans might enjoy that little update. Will write more later when I'm back from the south. I hope to get some real quality time of Bible reading and quite time with God while we're relaxing at cabins around the south. Blessings! LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment