Monday, March 10, 2014

WINTER PROJECTS TO SEND TO LITTLE GRANDDAUGHTERS

When I heard that my grandkids were into watching the Olympic figure skaters and then "skating" all around the house....I couldn't resist. This sweater was made for the oldest girl, Emma. Hopefully the way this winter has been going there will still be plenty of time to enjoy it! Maybe both girls will get to share it. That's the wonderful thing about heirloom children's clothes, they can be passed on and hold their charm for a long time. The pattern is from a "Botany" yarn book from 1950 that came into my possession only days before I learned about how much they enjoyed ice skating.
Here's a close-up of the skater design. I over-embroidered the skates with silver floss.
A button detail. Thought these great little buttons looked appropriately like....sparkling ice!!!! I sewed them on with more silver floss.
The grosgrain ribbon lining the front placket--a detail I had never attempted before. Do any of you baby-boomer-age ladies remember how all our little cardigans had this feature? Worked really well and fortified the placket for machine-worked buttonholes. Wow, was I ever scared to try that after all the work of the knitting! I didn't want to ruin it!
 Sorry this picture is sideways. This is a scarf for Sophie. It will match her coat well and she had been wanting one! I decided to apply crocheted flowers with button centers.
 
Hopefully the girls will love their new handmade items!
Blessings, LORI

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness! I SO admire your talents and the way you use your time so productively, Lori!

    ReplyDelete