Sunday, August 11, 2013

OUR TRI-STATE DAYCATION


Saturday we took a "daycation" to points within about an hour of our house. It is amazing how many interesting sites there were--places I'd never been though I've lived my whole life around here. 

The big rock is, as it indicates, is about 130 feet north of the spot where all three states, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio, meet. Both are located beside a very remote dirt road that my daughter discovered as she drove around looking for places to take pictures after church one Sunday.
This is the smaller marker rock on the tri-state point, 130 feet south.

This huge field of what I think are native prairie flowers is very close to the marker rocks. It's absolutely gorgeous!

Here I am standing on the other side of the field near the marker rock point. We saw a lot of wild apple trees thriving along the country roads. See how remote the area is at the tri-state point? I am standing at the edge of the dirt road.
During our trip we noticed that several small towns were having festivals, farmers's markets, numerous garage sales, and book sales. I got about 10 books free at one "sale." Oh, wow! I can't resist needlework books. As a knitter, tatter, and spinner, I felt like I had obtained a great treasure!


A hay field newly mowed and baled. We saw many beautiful farms all throughout the trip. I love the American farm life. I thoroughly enjoyed the farms I got to see on the daycation and all along our route last week when we drove to Colorado Springs and back to see grandkids (see last post). Hope to post more grandkid pics soon.




This lovely little church building was at a small Ohio crossroads, not far from the tri-state point. I guess it is considered Bridgewater Township, Ohio. But I can't remember the name of the little burg. Sorry about the intrusion of the electric wires, but hey, we do like our conveniences in the modern world, don't we?!

This bell was in front of the church. Not sure if it had originally been in the belfry here or not.


This millstone was at the corner of the church. I think it had been used in a nearby mill in the old days.


We went on to Pioneer, Ohio and took this picture of the interesting water tower. This pleasant little town was in the midst of an annual summer festival and we found busy restaurants, busy sidewalks, an old car show, and another library sale!

On we went up into Michigan and Rhiannon snapped this pretty picture of railroad cars. I love the colors.


I walked around the gorgeous campus of Hillsdale College. I'd love to be able to say I graduated from there! Hillsdale is full of pretty architecture. Wish we had had more time to photograph the buildings at the Hillsdale Fairgrounds--they are similarly beautiful--though constructed of wood unlike this brick college building, they have a wonderful old-fashioned charm. 
This serene picture shows an Amish farm and traditionally "shocked" piles of straw. You don't see this much anymore around here. I have seen this old-fashioned type of hay curing occasionally and specifically when I visited Holmes County further south in Ohio. I love the way it looks and enjoyed seeing scenes like this yesterday.

Couldn't resist begging Rhiannon (who snapped all these lovely pictures) to take this roadside shot of a blue heron. I love water birds and this fellow seemed pleased to stand still for a portrait.

I hope you enjoyed my "daycation" as much as I did, and that you will take time to discover the little-known sights and scenes close to home--those things we often overlook just because they are near or familiar!
Blessings, LORI

1 comment:

  1. We enjoy Day-Cations (or Stay-Cations), too. You found some very interesting spots to explore. Pioneer isn't so far from Archbold where we used to live....Have you been to Sauder Village in Archbold? If not, I'm pretty sure you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete